Send the URL of this service profile via SMS text message.
Data Provided By
United Way of Lancaster County
Description of Service
Offers a wide range of support services to older Lancaster County residents with the goal of allowing them to maintain their independence and self-sufficiency. Most services available to persons ages 60 and over, except for the 55+ Job Bank, Job Bank Workshop and Senior Community Services Employment Program which begins at age 55 and older. Domiciliary Care, long term Care Assessments and Caregiver Support Program available for persons 18 years and older.
Services for 60 years and older:
-Older Adult Daily Living Centers provided for persons with functional disabilities. Also provides daytime respite care to caregivers. Nursing services and mid-day meal are provided. Contracts with Landis Homes, Lancaster Generations, Masonic Homes, Moravian Center and Garden Spot Village to provide these services.
-Home Delivered Meals - Work in cooperation with Meals on Wheels and other sources for homebound elderly persons
-Emergency Fuel Assistance is provided as a last resort after a caseworker has assessed all other options.
-Respite Care gives caregiver relief
-Information & Referral assists persons to identify their needs, link them to appropriate services, and to share up-to-date information on issues affecting older persons. The Transportation Specialist, is also part of the I & R unit
-Lawyer Referral Program for the Elderly: Clients are referred to participating attorneys who will offer advice on a broad range of legal issues. Initial 1/2 hour consultation is $5; Fees need to be discussed with the attorney for consultation over a half hour
-Ombudsman Program investigates patient care concerns about nursing homes, personal care homes, and home health agencies
-Protective Services: Intensive casework for persons who are abused, exploited, neglected, abandoned or who are unable to carry out activities of daily living due to mental or physical impairment, which is placing them at risk of imminent harm
- Property Tax and Rent Rebate forms are available with assistance to complete them also available
- Senior Centers offer noon meals and a variety of activities in the following county areas: Columbia, Elizabethtown, Lancaster, Lititz, Millersville, Quarryville and Reinholds
- Flu Shots are usually offered in the Fall at the Senior Centers
- Transportation to medical appointments and senior centers using Red Rose Access for those who are eligible
Programs for persons ages 18 and over:
- Domiciliary Care offers protected community living arrangements for persons needing personal care and ongoing supervision.
- Long Term Care Unit provides assessments to determine the most appropriate level of care for those needing financial aid for nursing, personal care, and domiciliary care homes. Intensive in-home services available for eligible persons who are at a nursing home level of care and have sufficient informal support.
- Caregiver Support Program - Casework services and financial assistance with caregiving expenses for persons caring for individuals who are over 60 and are functionally dependent (requiring constant supervision) or between the ages of 18-59 with chronic dementia. Also offers assistance for grandparents who are the primary caregivers for grandchildren under the age of 18.
The Office of Aging can provide the following lists via mail, email or on the website:
- Beauticians who provide services in the client's home
- Cleaning services
- Non-medical companion services
- Pharmacies who deliver
- Lancaster County nursing homes
- Lancaster County personal care homes
- Grocers who will deliver
- Respite care facilities
- Senior Center list
- Low income housing
- Benefits for low income older adults
- Continuing care retirement communities
- Personal emergency response company list
- Home health agencies
- Caregiver resources: support groups, websites, hotlines
- Low-cost medical and dental services
Newsletter: Prime Time; Contact: Information and Referral Supervisor to be added to the mailing list
Volunteer Opportunities include:
- Providing socialization for older persons through regular visits and phone calls
- Assist a senior with a household task on an ongoing basis
- Volunteer as part of a group for a one-time project
- Assist agency staff with a variety of tasks including filing, data entry and mailings
- Become a volunteer in a specialized program such as APPRISE, Volunteer Ombudsman or Senior Games