Send the URL of this service profile via SMS text message.
Data Provided By
United Way of the Greater Lehigh Valley
Description of Service
Area Agencies on Aging provide local services, act as advocates, and generally assist older citizens to remain active in their communities. They operate under guidance from the Pennsylvania Department of Aging.
- Advocacy - Support and representation, administratively and legislatively, for the needs of older adults as a group or individually.
- APPRISE - assistance with health insurance benefit concerns, appeals, benefit applications.
- Employment Services - subsidized employment for training purposes. Available to low income persons age 55 and older.
- Information and Referral - answers to questions on the availability of services and programs for older adults.
- Legal Services - provided in non-fee generating cases via a contract with North Penn Legal Services, Inc.
- Nursing Home Transition - Information about availability of long term care in a variety of settings - in the home, or in assisted living, and planning/coordination in making a move to an alternate setting including arranging for necessary services, for current residents of nursing homes.
- Ombudsman - receives, investigates and assists in resolving complaints about quality of long term care. Provides information on long term care issues.
- Protective Services - activities, resources and supports to prevent or intervene in abuse, neglect, exploitation and abandonment cases.
- Specialized Transportation - limited availability of rides to medical appointments and social service agencies.
- Care Management - casework services for assessment and care planning, and authorization of the following:
- Adult Day Care - caregiving in an organized setting for less than a 24 hour day. Excellent for caregiver respite.
- Emergency Energy Assistance - bill payment or provision of fuel to avoid utility shut off or lack of fuel in crisis situations.
- Caregiver Support Program - educational services and financial assistance to family care providers.
- Home Delivered Meals - hot/cold meals delivered to maintain necessary nutrition.
- Home Health Care - skilled nursing, therapy and aide services.
- Nursing Home Respite Services - respite for overnight absences of caregivers.
- Personal Care - in-home help with bathing and other personal hygiene, laundry, shopping and meal preparation.
- Pre-Admission Assessment - level of care determination for those considering admission to a long term care facility.
- Waiver Services - Medicaid-funded in-home services of the types listed above, and more, to maintain nursing-home eligible older adults in their homes.
- Senior Farmer Market Nutrition Program - provides food vouchers for residents 60 years old who meet income guidelines
Information and referral service provides information on the availability of services and programs for older adults. Services may be delivered directly, purchased from a community agency, or available through a cooperative agreement.
Emergency oil delivery may be available to County residents, 60 or older, who have submitted a LIHEAP application and have 1/8 of a tank of oil or less. Call 610-559-3270 for information.
87 Bangor Junction Road, Bangor, PA 18013
800-446-0094 or 610-588-7200