Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Cash Assistance - Franklin

Franklin County Assistance Office

Send the URL of this service profile via SMS text message.
Enter Phone Number:
(Full US mobile number of recipient, eg. 1-303-555-1234) 

Data Provided By
PA211 PA211
General Information
Description of ServiceThe Department of Human Services is dedicated to helping low-income families become independent while they receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, TANF, benefits. TANF is also referred to as "cash assistance".

The TANF program provides money to help:
Pregnant women
Dependent children and their parents who live with them
Dependent children and other relatives who live with them and care for them
Geographical AreaFranklin County
Facility/ADA AccessWheelchair Accessible
Intake ProcedureYou can apply for and renew your benefits from the comfort of your home using COMPASS,the online resource for cash assistance.
You can also file an application at your local county assistance office.
Helpful TipsYou can receive cash assistance for 60 months TOTAL (five years) over the course of your lifetime.
Client Information
Target PopulationLow-Income
Intended ParticipantsPregnant women.
Dependent children and their parents who live with them.
Dependent children and other relatives who live with them and care for them.
Age GroupAdults
Languages SpokenEnglish, ‚Äč Interpreters provided based on availability‚Äč.
Driver's LicenseNot Required
EligibilityTo be eligible for cash assistance/TANF, you must meet certain requirements. Workers at the county assistance office can provide more information on all of these requirements:

You must be a United States citizen and a resident of Pennsylvania. (Certain non-citizens lawfully admitted for permanent residence may be eligible.)
You and your family members must provide Social Security Numbers or apply for them.
You are required to look for a job or participate in an employment and training program. (Some people may be excused from the work requirements, for example, a person with a disability.)
You are required to help the caseworker complete an Agreement of Mutual Responsibility (AMR), which is a plan for what you will do so you no longer need cash assistance. The plan may include looking for work, attending a training program, or applying for Social Security benefits. You must sign the AMR and follow through with the plan.
If you want cash assistance for a dependent child, you must cooperate with paternity and child support requirements, unless you have a good cause for not not cooperating. Your child must be under age 18 or age 18 and a full-time student. Your child must live with you and you must care for the child. You must need support and care for the child as a result of at least one of these things:
Death of the child's parent;
Incapacity of the child's parent (such as a long illness);
Continued absence of a parent from your home; or
One or both parents with no income or low income from employment.
Your resources (things with cash value such as bank accounts, bonds or property that is not your primary/main residence) must have a value of $1,000 or less.
You must report all income from employment or from other sources including, but not limited to, child support, unemployment compensation, interest, Social Security benefits, or lottery winnings.
Fees or Charges
Types of FeesServices are provided at no cost.
Wait ListNone
Hours of Operation Monday - Friday, 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Contact Information
Physical Site Address 1 620 Norland Avenue
Physical Site City, State, Zip Chambersburg, PA 17201-4205
Mailing Address 1 620 Norland Avenue
Mailing City, State, Zip Chambersburg, PA 17201
Main Phone 877-289-9177
Fax 717-264-4801
Web Address www.dhs.pa.gov
Affiliated Agency, Programs, and Services
Affiliated Agency: Pennsylvania Department of Human Services
Affiliated Program: Franklin County Assistance Office
This Service: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Cash Assistance - Franklin
Taxonomy Postings
Posted to Categories: TANF (NL-1000.8500)