Philadelphia HUNE, Inc. - Philadelphia; West Kensington
Send the URL of this service profile via SMS text message.
Data Provided By
2-1-1 SEPA - 2-1-1 SEPA
Description of Service
What We Do: Provide training sessions for parents of children with disabilities on all aspects of special education, including the Federal Laws (IDEA and NCLB) and the State Law (PA Regulations and Standards) in order to ensure that their children receive a Free Appropriate Public Education. Train parents individually on how to access information on education, disabilities and resources available regarding children with disabilities through on-line services.
HUNE assists parents of exceptional children to:
- Understand the nature of their children's disabilities and their educational and developmental needs.
- Communicate effectively with personnel responsible for providing special education, early intervention, transition and related services.
- Participate in the decision making process, the development of the Individualized Education Program (IEP), and the Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP).
- Obtain appropriate information about the range of options, programs, services and resources available to assist exceptional children and their families.
- Understand the availability of, and how to effectively use procedural safeguards under the Individual with Disabilities Act (IDEA) including encouraging the use of, and explaining the benefits of alternative methods of dispute resolution, such as mediation.
- Understand the provision of IDEA for the education of early intervention services to exceptional children.
- Participate in school reform activities. Negotiate for increased availability of interpreters and the development and dissemination of special education forms in Spanish.
Counties: Philadelphia; States: PA; Countries: USA
For additional information, please call 215-425-6203 or visit our website at http://www.huneinc.org