American Lung Association in PA - Northeast Regional Office
American Lung Association in Pennsylvania
Send the URL of this service profile via SMS text message.
Data Provided By
United Way of Lancaster County
Description of Service
- Radon Awareness: Information on health effects, testing procedures and reduction methods. Radon testing kits available for purchase.
- Carbon Monoxide Awareness: Information on health effects, testing procedures and proper steps to take.
- Air Pollution Awareness: Information on asbestos, environmental (secondhand) tobacco smoke, ground-level ozone and other indoor and outdoor air pollutants.
- Advocacy for Lung Health: Supporting individual, community, workplace, municipal, state and federal initiatives to protect people and environment from air pollution, including support of tobacco control measures.
- Freedom from Smoking Classes (referral): An 8-session (7 week) program of behavior modification for smoking cessation. Provides suggestions on how to build a healthier lifestyle, including relaxation techniques and avoiding weight gain. Fee is set through participating sites (free through above web site). Participants must finalize fee and program dates through sponsoring hospital. Call ALA for info.
- Provides information on a residential camp for children, ages 8-13, who have asthma.
- Also sponsors Better Breather Club Support Group for people living with COPD.
- Asthma Walk fundraiser, Walk for Life and Breath fundraiser.
- Call Center: Trained registered nurses and respiratory therapists provide immediate and comprehensive information about specific lung-health issues such as lung cancer, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, asthma and tuberculosis. Also will provide information on topics including allergies, how to quit smoking and environmental issues. Offers physician referrals.