School District of Lancaster - Families in Transition
Send the URL of this program profile via SMS text message.
Data Provided By
United Way of Lancaster County
Description of Program
Identify homeless students within the School District of Lancaster and to ensure that identified students are enrolled in school, their educational needs are assured, and disruptions in their attendance and academic program are minimized. A Task Force, comprised of representatives of numerous social service agencies advises the project. Efforts to assist homeless students have included:
- Policy changes permitting the admission of homeless students whose immunizations have been started, but not completed, or whose school records are incomplete.
- A small fund to purchase bus passes for a temporary period to facilitate the attendance of "sheltered" students. HSP workers also use the fund to purchase school uniforms and supplies for students for whom lack of these items is a barrier to their enrollment and attendance
- Referrals to after-school tutor and mentor programs
- Ongoing inservice program for teachers and service staff to increase their awareness of homelessness issues and their knowledge of how to work with homeless students in classes
- School nurses check medical records of identified homeless students and provide vision, hearing, and dental screenings as needed
- Homeless Education Site Coordinator is available to provide consultation to Lancaster County schools and parents regarding the educational rights of homeless children